Photo by Robert Scoble
This is long but worth listening to, key points
- If you are thinking of starting a business, get your social media profiles setup now and start blogging and curating content in your space, it will give you 6-12 months to gain followers for when you are ready to go.
- If you are not getting the occasional complaint about your social media activities you are not pushing hard enough
- You should be repeating your social media posts (he has data to back this up), especially if you have an international audience who wont necessarily be hanging waiting for your every tweet or go back through your posts to see what they missed.
- You need to customise your profiles, great photos of you and for the backgrounds/headers on Twitter, Google & Facebook (and now Linkedin) a big photo about an area of interest in your life (sports, photography, places you like etc)
- 3 Round rule when it comes to arguing with people on social media, you post, they snarkily reply, you reply once and let it go, don’t keep arguing, it just makes you look like an asshole to the rest of your followers, keep moving and ignore them.
- You have to keep replying to everyone (above rule notwithstanding) keep the conversation going
- Get tools (I like Buffer.com and HootSuite) to automate and schedule some of the heavy lifting